Sunday, February 24, 2008

Samba Squad launches it's first Podcast and celebrates the birthday of one member and the return of another.

Play Podcast 1
Today's rehearsal was unusual. David lead it for the first half and then Rick came in for the rest. The first unusual thing I found when I arrived was Christian playing tamborim. Christian is our youngest member. He joined Samba Squad when he was 9 and today was his birthday. He is now 14 and very talented.
Cliche alert: "where does the time go!"
He is a surdo master, usually playing tercera or the surdo kit. So I watched him as he played the tamborim like a pro and asked him "where you learned tamborim?" he just looked at me with an embarrassed grin on his face and said "I just watched you".
We had a lot of new players and it was a familiar struggle. Learning the material. I've been in the Squad since the beginning and it still humbles me.
Frank once said we have enough material for 5 carnivals. And although some of us might have felt frustrated, I considered it par for the course.
I had a chance to show Rick my store at cafepress and the t-shirts designs I had come up with. It was actually a big hit with everyone. Most of the designs got the responses I wanted. Mainly laughter or "I want one!"
After break Rick lead us through some new material we are developing.
As usual, here they are warts and all.

Yesa Bata with new tam ride.




New caixa ending.




funky bells




twist fingers 3




New break





The other unusual thing was the return of Luisa. She is one of our newest members and also plays the tamborim. I wanted to find out where she had been and since we were going out to celebrate Christian's birthday, we got her to come along.
I recorded our chat as an impromptu podcast so I'll let her tell you herself.
Play Podcast 1

If you want to subscribe to the podcast using Itunes, this the URL:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/LoveIsFickleButSambaIsForever

No comments: